Although Orange Is the New Black is ending on Netflix with its upcoming seventh season, this might not be the last time we see this prison dramedy. Earlier this week, a report surfaced that the show’s producers at Lionsgate Television are in early stages of developing a sequel to the original show.
This was now confirmed by Lionsgate TV Group chairman Kevin Beggs, who said that they would talk with the Orange Is the New Black creator Jenji Kohan about a “potential sequel.”
“We’re really proud of the long run that Orange Is the New Black had,” Beggs told reporters on Thursday. “It remains one of Netflix’s most-watched shows. We’re ending on a high note. Keep in mind we own that series and will be distributing it for years to come. We’re already in discussions and, when the timing is right, we’ll talk further with Jenji about a potential sequel.”
The idea of Orange Is the New Black sequel or spinoff isn’t something new, considering the fact that show’s executive producer Tara Herrmann told The Hollywood Reporter earlier this year that there were some discussions about the continuation of the show’s story. According to Herrmann, potential ideas included Broadway production, or following couples Larry Bloom (Jason Biggs) and Polly Harper (Maria Dizzia) or Cal and Carol Chapman (Deborah Rush).
Based on Piper Kerman’s memoir of the same name, Orange Is the New Black premiered on Netflix in 2013 focusing on the experiences of Piper Chapman (Taylor Schilling) during her stay in a minimum-security women’s federal prison. The show received critical acclaim and managed to win three Emmy Awards during its run.
Despite keeping the popularity among the audience and critics, the show was canceled by Netflix in October with streaming service giant announcing that season seven of Orange Is the New Black, which will premiere in early 2019, will also be its last.